In Italy, goods are subject to Value Added Tax (VAT) which is included in the sale price. This represents 22% of the price of your purchase.* As a non-EU resident, you can reclaim any VAT paid on goods and taken home with you, provided the claim is made within 90 days of the purchase.
VAT REFUND IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS
- Ask for a VAT refund form in the boutique when making a purchase valued over €154.94.
- Complete the form including your name (as it appears on your passport), passport number and address.
- Take your completed VAT refund form, receipts, passport and goods to the customs office at your point of departure from the EU, where your form will be validated.**
If your forms are marked with the O.T.E.L.L.O logo, you can go directly to the tax free providers to redeem your refund, and skip the customs process (details here)
Tip: Queues at customs in airports can be long, ensure you allow enough time to process your forms.
IMMEDIATE CASH REFUNDS - DOWNTOWN
- Follow steps 1 and 2, as per the VAT refund process above.
- Present your completed forms, passport and a credit card (with six months’ validity and registered in your name).
- Receive your cash VAT refund.
- Have your VAT refund form certified at your final point of departure from the EU within 21 days.
*Some items in Italy are subject to different VAT rates: Food- 10%, Books & Vision Lenses – 4%
If you are unsure of a VAT rate on a type of item, please check either the Global Blue or Premier Tax Free website.
** If you are on a connecting flight, to another EU destination, before your arrival home, get your form validated at the first departure point and this will be treated as your EU departure point.